Friday, September 9, 2011

Reflection

This weekend is an emotional one.  Let's start with the good.

6 years ago on September the 10th, I was married.  I was married on a beautiful, sunny, warm day.  Just a few clouds were in the sky that day.  I was married in front of one hundred and fifty friends and family, people who were there for us to witness the beginning of the rest of our lives together.  I truly remember that day in such great detail.  I could tell you what was going on every hour of that day.  The memories are SO vivid!  I often say that day was the best day of my life.  It still is.  I thank all of you reading this, who were there, who supported us, and were there for us on our big day.  Gregory, if you're reading this, which you probably won't unless I tell you to, I just want to say thank you.  Thank you for loving me and everything about me.  Thank you for being my best friend.  Thank you for being a fantastic husband.  You "get me" and that's no small feat!  Thank you for starting a family with me, I can't imagine our life any other way.  Thank you for saying "I do" 6 years ago.  If I had to do it all over again, I would, and I would change nothing.  Come What May, always and forever.  I love you.


Changing gears.

September 11, 2001.  It was a big day for me.  I was starting a new job.  It was a new beginning for me.  I remember walking into my new office, and meeting my new coworkers.  I was getting the rundown of the ins and outs and inner workings of the Social Work department at Saint Peter's University Hospital.  At 8:46am, a coworker came in and announced the grim news, plane #1 had hit.  Not knowing anything of terrorists or attacks on America at that time, we assumed it was a freak accident.  I said a silent prayer for those affected and tried to put it out of my head.  A few minutes go by, another plane, another announcement, another prayer.  This happened a total of 4 times.  I remember a lot about that day.  I remember watching the second tower fall, live on TV.  I remember the phone calls that we received asking if we had information.  I remember the images of people hopelessly jumping out of windows...to this day, that thought gives me chills.  it's just not something you ever forget.  I remember having to watch helplessly while my new coworker worked quickly to clear the hospital for 200 victims.  Victims that never showed up.  Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months, and business returned to "normal."  Life turned back to "normal."  But what is normal?  Life will never be the same after that fateful day.  People are harsh and quick to say that it was 10 years ago, that people need to get over it.  GET OVER IT?  Are ya kidding?  How do you get over something like that?  it makes me sad that people can brush off an attack on our freedom like it was nothing.  I will never forget.  It was such a big day.  Such an important day.  Such a sad day.  10 years later, it still hurts.

Tonight, while celebrating my anniversary, I will be taking a dinner cruise that will bring us up close to that beautiful, yet empty and forever changed NYC Skyline.  What an amazingly bittersweet moment that will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment