Monday, December 27, 2010

Following up

First off, I want to thank you all for all of the positive remarks and kind words I've received about my last blog entry.  I've always done better "on paper" than I do verbally, so to sit down and finally get it all out, it felt good.  I've also been thinking alot about perhaps taking the necessary steps to becoming a writer.  I do love to write, I always have.  I don't write stories very well; I have about 6 started in my saved documents file on the computer.  But, I love to write about my life, my experiences,...you know, 'from the heart' kind of stuff.  So that's something that's been whipping around in my brain for a few weeks.

Alot has happened since I last wrote.  Setback, after setback, after setback.  If it wasn't so devastating, it would almost be comical.  How much can one person take in such a short amount of time?  Infection, unexpected (but hopefully temporary) life-changing surgery, more infection, another procedure.  It's enough to fill up a lifetime, and he's done it all in the matter of 3 weeks or so. 

The attitude that I wrote about last time; that inspiring, amazing attitude seems to be dwindling quite a bit. It's been rough for everyone.  In the beginning, since his attitude was so great, we had no choice but to be optimistic and upbeat.  Now we are all fading.  I think this is where I say something about things getting better, or something about bootstraps (all of 3 people will get that reference)...but that's all easier said than done.  Words are hollow in these times.  It's all about the action.  I think this may be the time where he needs his friends and family the most, to help bring him out of the funk before it gets too deep.  His ordeal is just beginning, and it will be a long road so a positive attitude is a must.


Again, easier said than done...

Time to change gears for a minute.  I want to write about The Christmas Miracle.  Oh no, not THAT one, the one that happened on Christmas a few days ago.  Upon going home, my parents made a discovery on their front porch.  An anonymous envelope with a very simple inscription, " To the D'Imperio Family, Merry Christmas", and inside was a donation to what will most likely be the "medical fund."  Completely anonymous.    Who does that?  I mean, really. There have been a few guesses as to who it was, bit I doubt we will ever find out.  My faith in human kind has been restored a bit, that's for sure.  If by chance the angel who left it is currently reading these words...let me say thank you.  From the bottom of my heart.  Your gesture was a source of light during these dark times, and it bolstered my belief in all things good.  Thank you, thank you, thank you...and thank you again.

I could probably go on forever, so I will end this now.  Thanks again to all of you for the support, it has meant SO much to all of us.  Things WILL get worse before they get better, so keep the thoughts and prayers coming.  If you're close to 'the patient', go see him.  He needs the support.  If you want to leave him a message, do so here or Facebook message me and I'll print it out so he can read it. 

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. As a person who gets paid to write, I can't help but comment on what you said about taking the necessary steps to "becoming a writer." Honestly, you just do it. That's it. Seems easier said than done, but it's true.

    I have seen the phenomenon you speak of, with Heather. In the beginning it's positive and so everyone is caught up in that...it's infectious. But as time goes on and the tough gets going, there are only so many positive things you can say and words do indeed become hollow and meaningless. Action is where it's at.

    Heather has also gotten anonymous gifts of money and it's amazing, how generous people can be. That's the one silver lining in times like these. I know that the situation with Heather and with Joey is very different but they're both young people with cancer...so I think our families have more in common right now than you'd think. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete